Monday, March 30, 2020

Sourdough "Starter Discard" Crackers

If you remember from my Sourdough Starter post, you have to discard some of it every time you feed it. Well.... I do NOT like to waste food! 

So, each time I feed my starter.... I bake! The King Arthur Flour site has lots of great recipes that you can use with this "discard" sourdough starter!

The first recipe I tried was Sourdough Crackers. You can add all kinds of things, like herbs, to the dough to make it different flavors, but we did it plain... in hopes that my picky eater would like them. (Spoiler alert... she didn't. But the rest of us SURE DID!! SO YUMMY!)


This recipe is based on King Arthur, but the following instructions are tweaked to be exactly what I did.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sourdough starter (discard/unfed)
2 Tbsp butter, room temperature

Olive Oil for brushing
Coarse Sea Salt for sprinkling

Instructions:

-Mix together the flour, salt, sourdough starter, and butter to make a smooth dough
-Shape into a rectangular slab and wrap with plastic
-Put in refrigerator for 30 minutes (or up to 2 hours) until dough is firm

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-Lightly flour a piece of parchment, your rolling pin, and the top of the dough
-Roll the dough to about 1/16" thick
-Brush oil over entire sheet of dough
-Use pizza cutter to cut sheet into small squares (about 1-1 1/2 inch)
-Sprinkle with course salt
-Transfer dough (with the parchment) to a baking sheet
-Prick each square with the tines of a fork
-Bake 20-25 minutes, turning sheet around halfway through
-Remove from oven and transfer parchment to a cooling rack
-Store airtight up to a week

It really is super EASY! I can't wait to try it with some rosemary or thyme from the garden!
                                                  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post!