Thursday, May 17, 2012

Bulgar Wheat Salad

I'm just gonna dive in with this one. No chit chat. No back story......


This recipe makes enough for a party, or for two people to have for dinner with leftovers for lunch for a few days. Enjoy!!


Bulgar Wheat Salad


1 cup Bulgar Wheat
2 cups Chicken Broth

Bring broth to a boil and turn off heat. Add bulgar wheat, stir and cover for 30 minutes.

1 Roasted Chicken (shredded) .... I just get a rotisserie chicken precooked from grocery store.
1 small red onion (chopped)
1 red bell pepper (chopped)
1 bag frozen corn
1 bag frozen peas
Broccoli (finely chopped)

Blanch the corn, peas, and broccoli by dunking them in boiling water for a minute and then removing them to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.

Combine bulgar, chicken, and veggies in a large bowl.

***You can switch out any and all of the veggies to suite your taste. I've used zucchini in place of the broccoli, green beans in place of the peas, and green onion in place of the red onion. One of the great things about this salad is that you can just use what you have in your fridge and freezer***

Vinigrette:
2 Tbsp sherry vinegar (or any wine vinegar)
1 tsp honey
1 tsp grey poupon
3/4 tsp salt
cracked pepper
garlic (minced)
shallot (finely chopped)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil

***I always find that the salad needs more dressing that this recipe makes. I ALWAYS triple the vinigrette to make sure I have enough***

Combine all ingredients except olive oil into a large bowl. Slowly add the olive oil while wisking rapidly to emulsify the dressing. Add dressing to bulgar mixture to taste. (I usually try to overdress the salad slightly because it absorbs the dressing as it rests).

Top with chopped rosemary and basil (or any other fresh herbs you like).

I'd love to hear from you. What do YOU put in YOUR bulgar salad? I'm always up to try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post!