Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Giant Eggs

I've recently started raising chickens for eggs. I started with four chicks, but I now only have three hens. But I'll talk more about what happened to my rooster in another post. (Yum, yum.)

Baby chicks are the most ridiculously cute little things. Not as cute as a kitten or puppy, but close.


Then they grow up and get less cute. But I will admit, chickens have more of a personality than I ever thought they could. Here are my chicks a few months later:

See? Not as cute.

I got my chicks in the fall, kept them nice and warm all winter, and finally got my first egg this spring. Home grown eggs are MUCH tastier than the store bought ones, and it makes me feel good that I know what the chickens are fed and how they are cared for. 


With three laying hens, I average two eggs per day. Or just over a dozen a week. We don't eat eggs everyday, so this is just about the right amount to feed my family, unless I get on a baking kick. I have two different breeds (Rhode Island Red and Easter Egger) so I get two different color eggs. They are both about the same size as the Large eggs you buy in the store.


Except, every once in a while I get a giant egg. These eggs usually have multiple yolks. And I have to say, it's kinda fun to crack these open to see just how many yolks we're gonna get.


I haven't opened this latest giant yet. But as soon as I do, I will be sure to post a picture.

***UPDATE 5/6/2012***

It was a double!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post!